Saturday, August 13, 2011

Famine happening now


A friend posted this video and I find it very difficult to watch. 


A drought centered in the triangle where Ethiopia, Kenya and Somalia meet has sent tens of thousands of people pouring into refugee camps in search of food. The three-way border is a nomadic region where families heavily depend on the health of their livestock. Uganda and Djibouti have also been hit. The World Food Program said it expects 10 million people in the Horn of Africa to require food aid. The head of the U.N. agency for refugees said Sunday that drought-ridden Somalia is the “worst humanitarian disaster” in the world. Somalis are walking for days or weeks to reach camps in Ethiopia and Kenya. The young and the old are dying en route. Families have little food or money after herds of cattle, goats and camels were wiped out after successive seasons of no rains hit the war-ravaged country. 


I feel so far away as I sit here in my home with the fridge full of food and the pantry stocked. THIS is why Africa means something to me. Just because I was born here and these people where born THERE, it makes us no different. It is our duty to do something to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment