written by Tom Davis:
A certain ruler asked him, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
“Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘You shall not commit adultery, you shall not murder, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.’”
“All these I have kept since I was a boy,” he said.
When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was very wealthy.
LUKE 18:18-23
At some important level, the rich young ruler finds the pursuit of religious law and material things wholly unsatisfying. So unsatisfying, in fact, that he is asking Jesus how to inherit eternal life! I propose that the rich young ruler doubted that he was on the right path. He knows the extent of his devotion to God. And although he is very wealthy, his possessions still leave a void. He implores Jesus to share the secret of how to fill that hole.
There must be more to life than this.
I imagine Jesus and the young man standing at the rim of a great canyon…far to deep and wide to cross without a bridge. On the other side, true eternal life waits. “How do I cross?” asks the young man.
Jesus says, “Take these earthly things you value–your time, your status, your things, your bank account, your pride–and fill up the canyon. Then you can walk across them to the other side. Take anything you love more than me and toss it into the canyon.”
“But, then I won’t have my stuff anymore,” says the young man. “Some of it might get broken or lost.”
“Well, you asked,” Jesus replies. “The eternal life you seek starts by giving your earthly life away. When you give it away, you get your life.”
Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/redletters/#ixzz1VPd2dpZ9
No comments:
Post a Comment