Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"How was your day?"

"So, how was your day?" What did you do today?" These two questions I am getting asked every night at the dinner table by Jack. For the first two months of him asking me these questions, I have been too shocked that my 11 year old is engaging me in adult conversation to not say much more than, "Fine...I don't know what I did really...laundry, work, park..."

Really Kelly? This is the best you can come up with? Stop giving one word answers and shake it up a little! I am notorious for being guilty of exactly what I get all bent out of shape with what my own kids do. What kind of conversationalist I am?

So last week, I chose to shake it up a little.
On Monday I got some eyebrow raises when I told them I drove to the airport and watched airplanes take off all day.
On Tuesday, I told them I spent the morning watching ESPN highlights then drove to the Lego store and bought all their Christmas presents.
On Wednesday, I told them I tried out for a role in the upcoming play, Fiddler on the Roof and got the lead.
On Thursday, I told them all about how I took first place a lawn mower riding contest and won us a trip to LegoLand, but I had to turn it down because of the play performances.
On Friday, I blew their socks off when I explained all about how Clark and I went fishing and caught a 6 foot catfish in the creek behind 7-11 and was asked to be a guest in that creepy show, "River Monsters".

What I got was some great laughs.
This week, I am asking them what they did...

No comments:

Post a Comment